Saturday 30 December 2017

The Stronghold - Sebastian Bendix

                The Stronghold is a young adult novel that has more thrills and excitement than most of the adult thrillers that I’ve read this year. First of all, the cover is very simple, almost nondescript, but for some reason it grabbed my attention. After reading the synopsis for the book, I wasn’t sure I could read another zombie survival novel but since it sounded somewhat different I decided to try it and I am so glad I did. Without giving anything important away, this is not a book about surviving a zombie apocalypse. Rather, it’s about surviving the people around you when you begin to learn about all of the lies that have been told.
                Bowie is set to become the newest leader of the militia on an island strong hold, the last place that has survived the destruction of the world some decades ago. He follows all of the rules and believes everything that he has been told by his commander, a grizzled old soldier named Byrne. When something from the outside world invades Bowie’s world, it makes him question everything he has been taught. It’s those questions that cause Bowie and a couple of his unlikely allies to take action. All three must run for their lives as Bowie becomes hunted by the very people he once trained beside.
                This is such an excellent novel that I couldn’t put it down until it was finished. There wasn’t a page that didn’t keep me wanting to turn to the next one. The characters are very well written and even though there isn’t a lot of information about most of them, they are still so realistic that they ignite strong feelings of dislike for some and a hope for survival for others. Bowie is the most fleshed out character and he is wonderfully written. I love the world that Mr. Bendix has created in these pages and the details he has given with all of the rules and way of life in the stronghold’s own little society are well thought out and planned. The action increases steadily through the book and it is quite a fast-paced story. I can’t say enough good things about The Stronghold and I look forward to reading more from Mr. Bendix.

                I read this in digital format and it worked well on my ereader.

No comments:

Post a Comment