Wednesday 13 December 2017

Mini Pigs/Teacup Pigs All You Need to Know - Harriet Fields

                I’ve always had an interest in all types of animals and have devoured every book about them that I could find to read. I don’t care what kind they are, whether they are reptiles, mammals or birds, I want to read all about them. When I saw the delightful cover of Ms. Harriet Fields’ book, Mini Pigs/Teacup Pigs: All You Need to Know, I knew immediately that I wanted to read it. I’ve often debated getting a mini pig so I was quite excited to read this book. I wish that everyone who is trying to make the same decision as I was about getting one as a pet would read Ms. Fields’ informative book. If I had, my decision would have been much easier and quicker to make than it has been. Not because Ms. Fields tries to steer the reader in any one direction but because she is extremely forthright in her information and she lets you decide for yourself after reading all of the information that she provides within these pages.
                There are fifteen chapters in the book that cover everything from choosing the breed of mini pig you’d like to own to behaviour and training of the pig to a list of things your pig can or cannot eat. There’s even a section about teaching your pig how to do tricks. Who wouldn’t want to teach their little guy or gal to wave? It’s written in a very easy to read style that provides a lot of information without being boring. The chapters are broken up into quick and easy sections that make them easy to get through and to find your place easily should you need to put the book down for a bit. For a book that contains so much information, it is fairly short, having two-hundred and thirty-four pages. I do wish that there had been more pictures. The ones that are in the book showed up really well in digital format but it’s always fun to have lots of pictures when reading about animals.

                After reading this book, it is quite obvious that Ms. Fields loves mini pigs and cares greatly for their well-being. She never comes across as being “preachy” about the subject but she does make it clear that owning a pig is in no way like owning a cat or a dog. (Although she does say that cats and pigs can be great friends which I thought was really cool.) This is what I loved about this book. Not only does she extol all of the wonderful reasons that there are to own a mini pig, she also gives the reasons not to as well. This book should be read by anyone wanting to buy a mini-pig or someone who already owns one and wants to learn how to provide them with the best home possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment