Sunday 19 June 2016

Eden's Apple - Pamela Blake

                Eden’s Apple is a saga spanning the lives of Rose and her daughter, Lucy, and those they love. The book opens with an emotionally gripping chapter that tells how Lucy is conceived and it’s not romantic by any stretch of the imagination. The character of Rose is one that I found very interesting and would have liked to have her be more of a presence in the book but the story is essentially about Lucy, Rose’s daughter, who I found to be exceedingly unlikeable. She’s manipulative, greedy and broken to her core. The book also tells the story of Sam, a priest who falls in love with Lucy and finds himself torn between that love and his need to answer his calling. I liked Sam better than Lucy but question many of his decisions. The characters are multi-dimensional and very well written. Otherwise I really wouldn’t care one way or the other for them. The author makes them quite real and easy to picture in my mind’s eye. I loved the setting and time period, mostly from the 1940s to the 1960s. Sometimes the dialogue didn’t seem believable but I chalk that up to my not knowing how people spoke back then. Eden’s Apple is an enjoyable book and one that can be added to the summer beach reading pile. I read this book on my ereader and it formatted well. The cover is quite beautiful and is what drew me to the book in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment