Wednesday 18 November 2015

Embracing the Wild in Your Dog - Bryan Bailey



                I really don’t want to like this book and here is why. I have to admit that I am one of those dog owners whose pooch owns more clothes than I do, has his own Christmas stocking from Santa, and has an overflowing toy box. According to this book, my tiny seven pounder is really a wolf in Yorkie clothing and should be treated accordingly. Mentored as a teen by a Special Forces instructor in Alaska, the author scatters the wisdom of this unnamed gentleman throughout the book and it was these parts that I found to be the most useful and interesting. I can’t say I liked all of what the author had to say but after reading his reasoning and checking out a few of his sources which he listed in the back, I have to grudgingly agree with his conclusions. This is not a book about how to train your dog but it does provide insight as to why your dog does some of the things that may drive you crazy, such as jumping up. After reading why he does this I thought how obvious it was when the behaviour was explained. I read the digital version of this short book and it formatted well, as did the beautiful pictures throughout the book. The cover is a good representation of the book. This is a must read for dog owners even though you may not like what you find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment