Friday 8 May 2015

The Dockland Kingslayer - V.C. Remus




                The Dockland Kingslayer is a slimmed down version of one of the stories from another book I’ve reviewed, Steamworks in the Bylea written by V.C. Remus. Although I enjoyed Steamworks in the Bylea I did find it a bit confusing at times as it bounced between two main stories. In taking the story of Alistair Metis and giving it its own book, the author has strengthened the whole story. I found myself becoming much more invested in Alistair’s adventures and enjoying them more. It was easier to picture the events in my mind and it would make a great fantasy movie. The bumbling idiot guards chasing Alistair through the streets after his parents are killed would make a great hilarious action scene. Sometimes the phrases are a bit too descriptive or flowery and I just wanted the author to get to the story and forget how the blade of a sword felt but I understand why he added these things, maybe just rein them in a bit. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and hope the other story in Steamworks in the Bylea will be written in a similar way.

No comments:

Post a Comment