Sunday 9 November 2014

Death and Disappearances by Richard Smiraldi



                Death and Disappearances is an interesting book but I’m not sure if it’s in a good way or in a bad way. Montgomery loves his entitled life with his artist wife, Petula, until he wakes up one day with a large lump on his head and a missing wife. At first I thought it was a typical mystery novel with a taste of the 1950s. If it were a movie it would be filmed in black and white. The further into the book I read, the stranger the book became as voodoo, vampires and the supernatural got involved. I wasn’t always sure what was going on, in part due to how the book read on my ereader. I found it a bit hard to follow who was speaking at times due to how it formatted on my ereader but that may have been my device’s fault. I would have enjoyed the supernatural twist if it hadn’t seemed like it just didn’t fit in with the story. The main character was interesting and I liked Mont a lot. I think if I read the book a second time I may get a bit more out of it since I would know who’s who and what’s what. The cover is rather bland and basic but kind of goes with the 50s feel that I got from the story. This was a good enough read that I will look for other books to read by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment