Friday 11 July 2014

The Candidates: Based on a True Country



                The Candidates Based on a True Country is a tongue-in-cheek look at the presidential race ran by two rather crude characters who will stop at nothing to achieve the power of the big office. This is the second book by this author that I have read and find his very unique albeit raunchy and violent humour to be highly amusing. In this book he has taken the skeleton of a presidential race and the people involved and put his own meat and muscle onto it to make it into a wild and hilarious adventure that spoofs the entire thing. Even a character whose name had me laughing resembles, in my mind, a certain famous pop culture figure. I’m surprised he can get away with it but everything he writes, although over the top, is so very true. This is not a book for those people who get easily offended but anyone who knows Mr. Hiley’s writing is aware of this. If you have an open sense of humour then this book is very funny, even if you hate politics. I can’t say I found everything funny (poor Pepper) but I did have a good laugh and found it hilarious how the author subtly takes real-life situations and blows them all out of proportion. I read this book on my ereader and the formatting and editing were fine. The cover is also great for giving the reader an idea of what the book is about and the fact that it will be humorous. This will definitely not be the last book that I read by Matthew S. Hiley.

No comments:

Post a Comment